Talbot County, Maryland
About Us >> Departments >> Permits and Inspections

Permits and Inspections

The Department of Permits and Inspections is responsible for the administration and enforcement of building codes in Talbot County. The purpose of the codes is to provide minimum requirements to safeguard life or limb, health and public welfare. The codes shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures in Talbot County.

* Payment must be received upon applying for permit. Please make all checks payable to Talbot County. Credit cards and cash cannot be accepted at the counter. 

When: Wednesday December 18, 2019 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Please RSVP by 12/11/2019: 410-770-6840
This office is accepting recommendations for changes to the 2018 IBC, 2018 IRC and life safety codes as they relate to conditions unique to Talbot County.
It is understood that by making a suggestion, the code change is not automatically accepted by the County and that the information provided is for advisement purposes only.
The submitted document and all information contained herein are considered public information.
Please see the request form HERE. Requests should be returned to our office by Janurary 15th, 2020. Please contact our office at 410-770-6840 with any questions.


This office enforces all regulations governing the materials, design, application, construction and installation of foam plastic materials (i.e., spray foam insulation)
Please see our information sheet HERE, or contact the office at 410-770-6840.


Assistance with the Permitting Process

Please visit us at our office or contact us at 410-770-6840. Our staff is available by appointment to help review your application and plans. Building code questions can be directed to our Building Official, Brent Garner, at bgarner@talbotcountymd.gov

Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of projects require a permit?

All new homes, commercial structures, additions, demolitions (at no charge), renovations, remodels, agricultural buildings, sheds, marine construction, swimming pools and fuel tanks.

What work does not require a permit?

All work requires a permit, except for the following:

Exterior: Roof shingle repairs, siding replacement, painting, fences less than four (4) feet tall, sidewalks, at-grade patios, driveways, playground equipment or swings .

Interior: Cabinet replacements, floor covering replacements, in-kind replacement of windows and doors or the repair of leaking pipes or fixtures.

How much do permits cost?

Zoning Permits are required for agricultural buildings, sheds (under 300 square feet), marine projects, and fences. They cost $70.00, payable by check, cashier’s checks or money orders, to Talbot County.

Building permits are issued for all other projects, and fees are calculated based on the value of construction, the trades needed, and fees needed for additional reviews (forestry, flood, etc.) Talbot County only accepts checks, cashier’s checks or money orders.

What is required to submit a permit?

For a zoning permit: A completed application (Link), a completed checklist (Link) and four copies of a legible, to-scale site plan, drawn to an engineer’s scale, showing all property lines.

For a building permit: A completed application (Link), a completed checklist (Link), four copies of a legible, to-scale site plan, drawn to an engineer’s scale, showing all property lines and three legible copies of your building plans drawn to an architect’s scale (minimum ¼”=1’0” scale).

I’m looking for information regarding purchasing a property in Talbot County. How can your office help?

We can provide basic information regarding zoning setbacks for your prospective property. We also fulfill Public Information Act Requests (Link) for information we may have regarding past or outstanding permits.

Where does your office have jurisdiction?

In all areas of Talbot County, Maryland except the towns of Easton, St. Michaels, Trappe, Oxford and Queen Anne.

What are your hours?

The office is open Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
We accept permits until 4:00 PM
We schedule inspections for the next business day until 3:30 PM

More Frequently Asked Questions are available here (Link).

Our staff is always available to answer any questions or clarify any information at 410-770-6840

Talbot County Permits and Inspections
215 Bay Street, Suite 3
Easton, MD 21601
Phone (410) 770-6840 Fax (410) 770-6843
Open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Permits will not be accepted after 4:00 p.m.

Updated Fee Schedule Effective July 1, 2018


In order to receive buiding code updates, please send your e-mail address to bgarner@talbotcountymd.gov (please reference you would like to be on our e-mail list and if you are a building contractor, HVAC Contractor, Plumbing Contractor, Architect, engineer or designer).

When these changes are announced we will post on our website and also e-mail.

Key Changes in the 2015 International Codes


Permits Issued By Month



















Page last modified 01/02/20 10:41:37