Collection of County Recordation Taxes in Talbot County, Maryland
Effective February 15, 2014, the Talbot County Finance Office will begin collecting the County Recordation Tax imposed on documents recorded in the Talbot County Land Records. Transfer taxes (State and County) and recording fees will continue to be collected by the Office of Clerk of the Circuit Court for Talbot County.
The Talbot County Finance Office is located at 11 N. Washington Street, Suite 9, Easton, MD 21601. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Documents received after 4:00 pm will be processed on the following business day.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Rolinda Benson, Recordation Tax Clerk, by telephone at 410-770-8020, facsimile at 410-770-8006 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The current rate for County Recordation Taxes will remain at $6.00 per $500.00 of consideration (rounded up to the nearest $500.00).
For ease of recording:
- All payments for recordation taxes must be sent in a separate check made payable to "Talbot County, Maryland."
- Checks submitted to our office for payment of Recordation Taxes which are made payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court will be returned for correction. Please be aware that this will delay recording.
- If you have concerns regarding any recordation tax issues, you may request a preview of the documents prior to submission, simply fax mail or email your request. Please note that we will refrain from commenting on any issue prior to viewing the documents.
- Completed Maryland Intake Sheets are required for all documents. The form and completion instructions are available at www.courts.state.md.us/courtforms/circuit/intakesheet.html
- Any Refinance Affidavit must meet the requirements of Tax Property Article §12-108 (g) (3). It must be signed and notarized or made a part of the document by referring to it in the Deed of Trust.
- If claiming any unusual exemption from recordation tax, please explain in a separate cover letter. You must send supporting documentation as proof of the exemption.
- Additional time may be required to review documents claiming exemptions from recordation taxes by way of transfers to exempt organizations; transfers between related corporations; transfers involving dissolutions of a partnership, limited liability company or corporation; transfers of commercial, industrial or apartment properties; transfers with farm or agricultural issues or rezoning issues; transfers involving foreclosures or bankruptcies; transfers involving condominium conversions; vacant or unimproved land transfers with builder involved; and transfers involving limited liability companies.
- We will serve each in-office customer submitting five (5) documents or less with immediate service. We request that if you are submitting more than five documents, you drop-off and pick-up at a later scheduled time.
- When submitting documents via mail, please include mailing instructions with documents along with a prepaid postage envelope.
The following documents do not need to be submitted to our office prior to submission to the Clerk of the Court:
- Appointments of Substitute Trustees
- Assignments of Mortgages or Deeds of Trust
- Bankruptcy Documents
- Condominium Declarations, By-Laws, Plats, and Liens
- Land Installment Contracts
- Leasehold Mortgages
- Powers of Attorney
Page last modified 05/13/15 14:18:58