Inspections reviews all building, grading and infrastructure permits to ensure compliance with building codes, laws and regulations and to protect public health and safety and the natural environment.
Once a permit is issued, construction can commence. It is the permit holders' responsibility to contact the county when stages of construction are reached that require an inspection. Our Inspections Team checks to see that construction work in the field is built according to approved plans with respect to Building Code. Refer to the following codes and ordinances for reference.
Plumbing, HVACR and electrical inspections must be requested by the licensed trade contractor working on the job.
Fire Sprinkler inspections must be called in to the Fire Marshals Office by the approved licensed Installer at 410-822-7609
Electrical inspections must be called in to the Middle Department Inspection Agency (MDIA) at 410-822-8300
Certificate of Occupancy/Completion can be issued by the Department of Permits and Inspections only after Final Plumbing, Electrical, Fire Marshall and Building inspections have been completed. If required, approval from the Environmental Health Department must also be completed.
Steps to Inspection
- Your permit must be active for 24 hours before you can request your first inspection.
- Before scheduling your final building inspection, all associated trade permits must have passed final inspections. On commercial and tenant improvement building permits, the Fire Marshal’s office must have also passed a final inspection prior to scheduling the final building inspection. Contact the Fire Marshal at 410-822-7609.
- Re-inspection fees will be charged if the work is not ready for inspection or if violations are not corrected. A copy of the approved construction drawings and grading plans must be on site at all times.
Types of Inspections
If a Building Permit has been issued, the following inspections are required for compliance with the Building Code:
- Footing and Setbacks
- Foundation (prior to backfill)
- Slab (if applicable)
- First Floor Framing - beams and joist (prior to installation of deck plywood) design data from the manufacturer must be furnished to the inspector prior to the framing inspection
- Plumbing Rough-in
- HVACR Rough-in - the dwelling shall be weather tight prior to receiving a HVACR rough-in inspection.
- Fire Sprinkler Rough-in (Fire Marshal)
- Electrical Rough-in (MDIA)
- Framing (inspection will be done after all rough-in inspections are complete)
- Plumbing Final
- HVACR Final
- Fire Sprinkler Final (Fire Marshal)
- Electrical Final (MDIA)
- Building Final
Scheduling an Inspection
To schedule an inspection online, use OpenGov, or call the Permits and Inspections Office at 410-770-6849 between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m Monday through Friday.
Check on Inspection Results
To check on the status of your inspection, access OpenGov.
Page last modified Thursday, February 1, 2024 2:09:54 PM