County Seeks Public Opinion on Proposed Vehicle Weight Limit for Black Dog Alley
The Talbot County Council introduced Resolution No. 351 on November 14, 2023, which if adopted, will establish a vehicle weight limit on Black Dog Alley, aiming to reduce heavy truck “through traffic” on the road between Cordova Road (MD Route 309) and Dover Road (MD Route 331).
Resolution No. 351, as introduced, states that vehicles exceeding 17,000 lbs. in gross combination weight rating (GCWR) or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) will be prohibited from traveling on Black Dog Alley, which runs between Cordova Road and Dover Road. A map reference is available.
The resolution includes exemptions for these vehicles:
- Vehicles owned or operated by governmental entities or their employees
- Vehicles engaged in agricultural production or operations
- Vehicles responding to an emergency (e.g., emergency services vehicles)
- Vehicles used in connection with providing services to property owners, residents, and businesses on Black Dog Alley, (e.g., delivering goods, picking up trash or other items, conducting work related to the property).
- Vehicles of property owners whose property is located on or only accessible by Black Dog Alley, provided the vehicles are routinely kept or stored on the property
Resolution No. 351 can be reviewed in full at www.talbotcountymd.gov/blackdogalleylegislation
Council held a work session with representatives from the Department of Public Works, Roads, and local law enforcement on Tuesday, October 24, 2023 to discuss the proposed weight restrictions.
“The heavy truck traffic causes the County to incur additional and unnecessary road maintenance expenses, both to repair the road and to clean up rubbish and refuse that has fallen from unsecured vehicles on the roadway,” said Council President Chuck Callahan.
“Traffic poses a potential safety threat to motorists and other users of the road, which was not designed to accommodate heavy truck traffic and is not wide enough to accommodate large vehicles.”
The public hearing on Resolution No. 351 will be held on Tuesday, December 12, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bradley Meeting Room, Talbot County Courthouse, 11 North Washington Street, Easton. Residents are encouraged to attend the public hearing, or to provide written comment prior to the meeting by emailing email@example.com.
Page last modified Friday, May 26, 2023 11:22:37 AM